How to Clean Clear Correct Aligners
Clear Correct aligners are a popular choice for individuals seeking a discreet and effective way to straighten their teeth. These transparent, removable trays are custom-made to fit your teeth and gradually shift them into the desired position. While wearing aligners is simple, it is crucial to maintain proper oral hygiene to keep them clean and free from bacteria. In this article, we will discuss the best methods to clean clear correct aligners and answer some frequently asked questions about their maintenance.
Cleaning Clear Correct Aligners:
1. Rinse with lukewarm water: Whenever you remove your aligners, rinse them with lukewarm water. This will help remove any saliva, food particles, or plaque that may have accumulated on the trays.
2. Use a soft toothbrush: Gently brush the aligners using a soft toothbrush. Avoid using toothpaste, as it can be abrasive and may scratch the surface of the trays. Instead, use a mild soap or clear antibacterial liquid to clean them thoroughly.
3. Soak in a denture cleaner: To maintain the cleanliness of your aligners, soak them in a denture cleaner. These cleaners are specifically designed to remove bacteria and stains from dental appliances. Follow the instructions on the denture cleaner packaging for the recommended soaking time.
4. Brush your teeth before wearing aligners: It is essential to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth thoroughly before putting the aligners back in. This will prevent bacteria and food particles from being trapped between your teeth and the aligners, reducing the risk of cavities or gum disease.
5. Avoid eating or drinking with aligners on: To prevent staining and the accumulation of food particles in your aligners, it is important to remove them before eating or drinking anything other than water. This will also help preserve their transparency and prolong their lifespan.
FAQs about Cleaning Clear Correct Aligners:
Q: How often should I clean my clear correct aligners?
A: It is recommended to clean your aligners at least twice a day – once in the morning and once before bed. This will ensure that they remain hygienic and free from bacteria.
Q: Can I use toothpaste to clean my aligners?
A: It is best to avoid using toothpaste on your aligners, as it can be abrasive and cause scratches. Instead, use a mild soap or clear antibacterial liquid to clean them.
Q: How long should I soak my aligners in a denture cleaner?
A: Follow the instructions on the denture cleaner packaging for the recommended soaking time. Typically, soaking them for 15-30 minutes should be sufficient to remove stains and bacteria.
Q: Can I use mouthwash to clean my aligners?
A: While rinsing your aligners with mouthwash may freshen their smell, it is not a substitute for proper cleaning. Mouthwash alone may not effectively remove bacteria or plaque from the aligners.
Q: How should I store my aligners when not in use?
A: When you are not wearing your aligners, place them in their designated case. Avoid wrapping them in a tissue or napkin, as this can easily lead to loss or damage.
Q: Can I use denture cleaning tablets to clean my aligners?
A: Denture cleaning tablets can be used to clean your aligners. Dissolve one tablet in water, as per the instructions on the packaging, and soak your aligners for the recommended duration.
In conclusion, maintaining proper oral hygiene is essential when wearing clear correct aligners. Following the correct cleaning methods and adhering to a regular cleaning routine will help keep your aligners clear, clean, and free from bacteria. By doing so, you can ensure the success of your orthodontic treatment and achieve the beautiful smile you desire.