How to Answer “What Will You Contribute”
When you attend a job interview, you can expect to be asked a variety of questions by the hiring manager or the interview panel. One common question that often arises is, “What will you contribute to our company?” This question seeks to determine how your skills, experience, and personality fit into the organization’s goals and values. To help you prepare for this question, we have compiled some tips and strategies on how to answer it effectively.
1. Research the company: Before attending any interview, it is essential to conduct thorough research on the company. Get familiar with their mission, vision, and values. Understand the company culture and the specific job requirements. This knowledge will help you align your skills and experience to the company’s needs and demonstrate your enthusiasm for the role.
2. Highlight your skills and experience: Take this opportunity to showcase your skills and experience that are directly relevant to the job you are applying for. Discuss your accomplishments and how they can contribute to the company’s success. For example, if you are applying for a sales position, mention your track record of exceeding targets or your ability to build strong customer relationships.
3. Emphasize your unique qualities: Use this question as a chance to highlight your unique qualities that set you apart from other candidates. Talk about your problem-solving abilities, creativity, leadership skills, or your ability to work well in a team. Show how these qualities can positively impact the company and help achieve its goals.
4. Connect your goals with the company’s goals: Articulate how your personal and professional goals align with the company’s objectives. This demonstrates that you have a clear understanding of what the company is looking to achieve and that you are committed to contributing to its success. For instance, if the company emphasizes sustainability, mention your passion for environmental issues and how you can contribute towards their sustainability goals.
5. Provide specific examples: While answering this question, it is essential to provide specific examples that demonstrate your ability to contribute effectively. Use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to structure your response. This method helps you provide a clear and concise explanation of how you have contributed in the past and how you can contribute in the future.
Q: Can I answer this question by mentioning my educational qualifications alone?
A: While your educational qualifications are important, it is recommended to go beyond them and focus on your skills, experience, and personal qualities. Employers are generally interested in what you can bring to the table in terms of practical capabilities and potential contributions.
Q: Is it necessary to mention specific projects or initiatives I have worked on?
A: It is highly recommended to mention specific projects or initiatives you have worked on, as this demonstrates your practical experience and ability to contribute effectively. Providing concrete examples helps the interviewer visualize your potential impact on their organization.
Q: Should I mention my long-term career goals in my response?
A: It is generally a good idea to mention your long-term career goals, as it shows your ambition and commitment to personal growth. However, ensure that your goals are aligned with the company’s goals to demonstrate the value you can bring in the long run.
Q: How can I stand out when answering this question?
A: To stand out, focus on what makes you unique and how your skills and qualities can bring a fresh perspective to the company. Highlight your achievements and provide specific examples that demonstrate your ability to make a positive impact.
In conclusion, when answering the question, “What will you contribute to our company?” it is crucial to conduct thorough research, highlight your skills and experience, emphasize your unique qualities, connect your goals with the company’s goals, and provide specific examples. By following these tips, you can effectively demonstrate your potential contribution to the organization and increase your chances of securing the job.